Tuesday, August 29, 2017

The Sointula Art Shed



There is an artist residency program on Sointula. This summer I have got to know two of the artists, Femke de Fries and Ash Ferlito (above). Ash is leaving today to return to New York City (specifically Long Island City). She is the first person I have met in Sointula who comes from New York.

The photos here are from the small reception at the Art Shed yesterday displaying projects Ash has been working on while here. One subject that has particularly intrigued her is the birds she has observed. The other evening, over a glass or two of wine, she told me about her afternoon of birding, and was able to list a couple dozen birds that she had observed that day. You can see from the photo in her sketch book how much she has taken birds to heart.
 

This business of naming is intriguing I remember years ago talking to my friend Adrienne, who lives in East Chatham, New York. We were walking through a heavily forested area, and I mentioned to her that one reason it is so easy for us moderns to cut down trees is because most of us don't know the names of trees anymore. What was common knowledge to folks a century ago, at least in rural parts, is alien to most of us. I am pretty sure with maple, having spent these summers in Canada, but otherwise I am pretty deficient in this terminology.

We all collect stones here

No comments:

Post a Comment