Sunday, August 7, 2022

Daily life in Sointula

This is my seventh summer here, missing only 2020, when the virus closed down borders. The population of Macolm Island is about 500, and it is not one of those fancy places with high-end coffee shops and bars. In fact, it is not especially beautiful in itself, as it has been a logging island (Canada is full of forests), but the real treat are the skies and the beaches (but, again, not sunny, sandy ones like in the fancy places). The population is pretty stable, so that by now most people know about the gal from New York (me!). I am so much at home that I even have a Vancouver Island library card. I've mentioned before my fondness for hikes, which is always very instructive for me, a totally urban person, being with who know the difference between poisonous and edible mushrooms and the names of trees and all that.

If you want to eat out, you have two choices: Coho Joe's, open daily til 2:30 or so; and the Burger Barn, open from noon until 7:30 p.m. The burgers often include halibut. I've posted several times photos from my hikes, but herewith some sights of daily life. The last picture below is of my work station. As always, click to enlarge.

The Burger Barn

Tyler painting the Burger Barn

Tyler's painting of Coho Joe's

The gas station

The Hotel

The marina

Local produce for sale

I like to bike here and read

Croquet on Sundays

Visitors in my back yard



 

No comments:

Post a Comment