Saturday, August 22, 2020

New York in mid-pandemic

I can't remember now when the heat wave began, but I was running my air conditioner most days and wishing that I were in Sointula this summer. This past weekend there was some respite, and I was able to open the windows. But today again it was hot and humid. Walk a block and you feel you are going to expire. But we will make it, right? That is the New York City spirit, always congratulating itself. In the days when it was cool, I walked around and took some pictures. (As always, click to view larger.)

In the first month or so of the pandemic, there was little car traffic. People laughed that you didn't have to look both ways when crossing the streets. No more. Vehicular traffic is back with a vengeance. Oddly, this presence does not align with people on the streets. The photo above of Sixth Avenue, shows what I mean. The avenue is a canyon of office buildings, and on any weekday the sidewalks would be packed. But the offices are now empty, and likewise the sidewalks. In the place of office workers, homeless folks set up their lodging next to stores that have gone out of business.


The big street activity is outdoor "dining." Here follow a few pictures from my neighborhood on the Upper West Side.





And, naturally, half the world is on a cell phones even a homeless gal.



No comments:

Post a Comment