Thursday, August 9, 2018

Whale watching in Mitchell Bay

People out here are always telling me about the whales they see, even outside their house. It doesn't happen when I am around.  I have bad karma when it comes to sighting them. True, I have been on a couple of whale-watching outings, which are led by people who carry radios and communicate with other people carrying radios and literally go hunting the whales (figuratively speaking). On those trips, I have indeed seen a couple of whales in the distance, usually at the moment when that all that is visible is the tail.

Thursday mornings in Sointula a number of ladies do a hike, and today we went to Mitchell Bay. As soon as we got out of the car at the marina, people were saying that a whale had just passed. We walked along the beach road, but it had gone on. One person who lives in Mitchell Bay, right on the water and who is able to see whales out of her window many days of the year, said that whales sometimes turn around. Not today. As I said, I bring my whale karma with me.

In any case, it was a lovely day, a lovely walk. Herewith a few beach pictures. Driftwood and rocks are today's theme. And here is a link to Mitchell Bay, which includes a map that can be expanded. As always with my pictures, click to enlarge.



Many uses for driftwood here.



No comments:

Post a Comment